Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Simple Granola

I make granola several times every week.  I eat it for breakfast and Husband eats it as a snack.  I love that I know everything that is in it.  Store bought cereals are very processed.  Almost every cereal you could buy contains some processed corn product.  I love that my granola is made out of whole foods.  I love that maple syrup is a low glycemic index food so I get the sweet flavor without spiking my blood sugar.  This is a delicious, crunchy-sweet whole food breakfast or snack!

Ingredients:

2 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup real maple syrup
1/2 cup canola oil
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons cinnamon
5 cups old fashioned oats

Heat the oven to 325 degrees.  I accidentally did it hotter once and it was a disaster.  Make sure it is 325.
Chop walnuts coarsely.


Mix everything except the oats and walnuts.


Stir in the oats and walnuts.  Toss until everything is well coated.


Pour your granola onto a parchment lined baking sheet.  Press down hard to pack the granola down.


Bake for 40-45 minutes until the granola is golden brown.  Turn halfway through baking.  Do not stir.


Let cool for at least one hour.  When cool, break your granola into chunks.  Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. This is so great, Alli! It looks super yummy. I make granola too, and one secret ingredient I have is one scoop of peanut butter. It doesn't have a strong flavor (surprisingly), but it makes it kinda earthy. It's good. Also, I recently started adding shaved almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and chopped up candied ginger (don't do much! It's dominating!). Just in case you want ideas for variations... I'll try yours next time!

    ReplyDelete