Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Braided Headbands

I have been making braided headbands. 5 piece braided headbands actually.  I found the idea on Pinterest from make it and love it.  Lets be real, I love it.  For these awesome headbands all you need is an old t-shirt as many t-shirts as you can get your hands on and either a hot glue gun or a needle and thread.  I used a hot glue gun because I just bought a new one.

Luckily Husband just went through his t-shirts and made a big give away bag full of them.  He meant give to me right?  I have already made two for me and two four for Little.  I'm addicted.  They are quick, easy, and free as long as you have an old t-shirt.

I have been wearing them all the time.  They would be great for doing your make-up or going to the gym.  Or wearing everywhere.

Each t-shirt seems to make three or four headbands, depending on how thick you want them.  I have made thinner ones for Little and thicker ones for myself.

Start by cutting your t-shirt into strips.  You will need 5 strips, each long enough to go almost twice around your head.  I made the strips about 1 inch wide for me and about 1/2 an inch wide for Little.  I just cut around the bottom of the t-shirt and that was easily long enough (half of that worked for Little).

Put the ends of your strips together and glue them.  Pull on each strip of fabric so that they curl on the edges. If you're not sure its curled enough, pull harder.

Now its time to braid.  I clipped the glued end of my braid to a clipboard to make it easier to braid.  Separate your strips so there are 3 on the left and 2 on the right.

Working with the left group only, bring the left strip to the middle, then the right strip to the middle.  Now bring the new right strip to the right group.

Working with the right group only now, bring the right strip to the middle, then the left strip to the middle.  Now bring the new left strip to the left group.  Repeat.


When your braid is long enough (make it a little short since it will be stretchy) glue the end and cut off the extra strips.  Glue both ends of the braid together and cover with a small piece of t-shirt.  I glued some fabric do-dads to Little's headbands but I left mine plain.  All done!






4 comments:

  1. Where did you get the little flower embellishments? I am so making some of these... I have all sorts of t-shirts to use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made the flowers. The white flowers I made using the straps of a tank top (kind of the same way you make a ribbon rose) and the red and white flowers I just cut flower shapes out of a t-shirt, layered a few different sizes, and glued them together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! I love them! Thanks for sharing! I'm going to try to do this!!

    ReplyDelete