Thursday, June 7, 2012

Apricot Baby Food

I make all of the food we give to Little (with the exception of cereal).  It is so easy to make fruit and vegetable baby food and when you make it yourself, it is easy to be sure that the produce you are using is organic and perfectly ripe.  I have been making baby food out of what is in season and then freezing it to feed to Little when she is ready.

Apricots are ok for babies 6 months and older but remember as with most fruits and vegetables, they need to be cooked for babies under 12 months of age.  Your apricots should be soft but not squishy.  If you are buying them, apricots should have a sweet fragrance if they are picked ripe.  Apricots are in season here and my mom has a tree so I grabbed these beauties to make a snack for Little.


Wash your apricots well.  Then break them or cut them in half and put them skin side down in a baking pan with a little bit of water.


Bake until your apricots are soft.  I started them at 325 with my granola and then turned up the temperature to 400 when the granola was out.


Let your cooked apricots cool and then scoop them out of the skins with a spoon.  Blend in a food processor until you have a smooth texture.  You can add some of your cooking water if your apricots are thicker than your baby likes.  Spoon your baby food into an ice cube tray to store it.  I freeze baby food in my silicone ice cube tray and then store the frozen cubes in a freezer bag.  The cubes on my tray are very small (and flower shaped!) so I normally feed Little two of them.


Have fun feeding your baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment