Saturday, June 2, 2012

Avocado Baby Food

As Little's third food (after oatmeal and butternut squash) I decided to try avocado.  I did a lot of research and I found that avocado is a food that many babies like and it is also a food that rarely causes allergic reactions and is very high in nutrients.  Avocado is recommended for babies starting at age 4 months.  I chose not to feed Little any solid foods until she was six months because she did a great job gaining weight with just breast milk and I have quite a few skin allergies so waiting made sense for us.

I decided to just mash fresh avocado because I didn't want to make very much.  Avocados will oxidize (turn brown and change flavor) if they are left cut up.  That includes if they are blended to make baby food.  Adults use things like lime or lemon to keep avocado fresh (think guacamole) but citric acid (found in citrus) can cause severe allergic reactions in infants.  I just mashed the avocado with a fork and then thinned it out with a little hot water (she likes her food warm) until it was a texture that Little would like.


At first Little wasn't to pleased with avocado.  She hasn't been very interested in solid foods, especially anything new.  She did eat a few bites.  In the end, I think she liked avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment