Sunday, June 3, 2012

Life as a student and Mama

So I didn't plan on being a student and a mom.  I have a bachelors degree in Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology and a Multiple Subject California state teaching credential that I finished two years after my bachelors degree.  Those two degrees allow me to teach biology at the high school level, any science at the middle school level, or a self contained elementary school class.  I am qualified for plenty of jobs, when I choose to look for one.

When Little was a few weeks old I got an email telling me about a program at the university I got my teaching credential from.  That email told me about a grant funded program that would allow me to get a math teaching credential by taking only four classes.  The program would also be completely free for me.  I ignored these emails because I couldn't imagine leaving my tiny baby and several of the classes would be during the day and with me not working, we couldn't really afford childcare.

I ended up going to an information meeting about the program anyways.  God seems to have lined everything up just right.  All of the classes ended up being in the evening when Husband or my mother can watch Little.  I was allowed to get the credential with only three of the four classes.  Pumping breastmilk has been really easy for me.  Little happily takes a bottle from Husband or my mother.

So, despite the plans I had when Little was born, I have ended up a mom and a student.  Two more weeks of class and I am done!

How I have survived as a mom and a student: (Full disclosure, I am only a part time student)

1.  Try to stay on top of your work.  (Lets be honest, I am always willing to blow off my school work to go on a hike.  Or to go for ice cream.  Well, basically I am a procrastiator but I know I do feel better when I stay on top of my work.)

2.  Little will not let me work on school work when she is awake.  But she is happy watching me hang out the laundry to dry, fold laundry, do the dishes, vacuum, or run errands.  I do my best to get those things done when she is awake so that I can use naps for homework.

3.  Ask for help.  Lots of people are willing to play with a baby, especially when you can be there to change diapers and take the baby if she gets grumpy.

4.  Making dinners is difficult when I am in class.  I have been working on making crock pot dinners that will be ready when I get home.  I also try to make double meals when that is possible.  Sometimes we will just eat leftovers on nights when I have class.  I also freeze the extra meal so that I can make dinner quickly when life gets too busy to make a healthy dinner.

5.  I try to exercise.  I always feel better when I get exercise.  Especially in the heat during the summer, I can normally get a run in before Little takes her nap so I haven't even wasted any time I could have been studying.

6.  I use nap times to get homework done.  If I can put Little done, I try to get as much done then as I can.  I have also occasionally done homework with Little asleep in the Moby wrap.

These are called cuisinaire rods.  They are great for teaching fractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment