Friday, June 29, 2012

Homemade Baby Wipes



I use cloth diapers most of the time but until now, I haven't used cloth wipes.  I've been thinking about it but we buy our wipes at Costco and it seems like we never run out.  I was thinking the other day, why does that have to stop me?  I'd like to have some backup disposable wipes anyways so I'm not worried about running out!


Cloth wipes are somewhat expensive to buy and very very easy to make.  Like seriously, if you have never sewn before, this is the project for you to start with.  I used a flannel receiving blanket to make my wipes.  I was thinking it would have been more fun to find a flannel sheet with a cool print at a thrift store.  Of course, that would make a TON of wipes.


I made my wipes about 8x8 inches (some a little bit smaller since the blanket wasn't exactly the right size).  That's a size that fits very well folded in half into a regular wipes box.  I plan on just putting solution in the box with the wipes so using a wipes box will make sure that they don't dry out.

Just cut the blanket (or sheet if you want a lot!) into squares.


A blanket will give you a pretty large stack of wipes.


Zig-zag stitch around all the sides of the wipes.  That's it!


Note:  Another cool thing about my wipes?  Years ago my great grandmother gave me her sewing machine and a bunch of her sewing things.  For this project, I used up most the thread on two of her bobbins.  Notice that there are 12 different colors of thread?  That is just most of the thread from only 2 bobbins!  It seems that she never took the thread off when she filled her bobbin with a new color.  Too cool!

Linked at http://www.iheartnaptime.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment