Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Drying Apricots

The other day, my dad called me and told me that he had some apricots for me.  Someone at his work had a bunch available and my dad had picked some.

When I went to pick them up, We didn't just have "some" apricots.  As I stared at the massive sack of apricots that he had alloted to me, he told me that he had heard that apricots were Husband's favorite fruit.  Well, they are definitely high on his list of favorites but I can't imagine him eating 15 lbs of them before they go bad.

I decided to dry a bunch of them in my new food dehydrator.  A neighbor of my parents was having a yard sale and he gave me a food dehydrator for free!


 Dried fruit is really easy to make and it lasts almost forever.  I was thinking that dried apricots would be good in my granola but Husband told me that he'll eat them plain.

I dry very ripe fruit.  If you cut the apricots in half and dip them in some fruit fresh and water, they won't turn brown.  Then I dry them cut side up.  I don't think that matters too much but it keeps my dehydrator easy to clean!


 I like to store my dried fruit in mason jars.  I can see what's in there, they seal out moisture, and they don't slide out of the cupboard like plastic bags do.  Yummy!


Linked at http://frugallysustainable.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment