Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Whole Wheat Peach Cobbler

I love peach cobbler.  I could eat it all day.  Its a dessert and breakfast.  I make and eat a lot of cobbler during the summer so I try to make it as healthy as possible.  This cobbler has a lot of fruit and not a lot of sugar.  The biscuits are made of whole wheat flour.  Yummy, easy, and healthy.  What more could you ask for?  I used a mix or white and yellow peaches this time.  I've used just white, just yellow, even mixed in blackberries before.  Its always great.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 cups sliced peaches
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons softened butter
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk

Mix 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch in a pot.  Mix in half of the peeled and sliced peaches and heat on medium, stirring frequently.  Boil and stir for 1 minute.  Remove from heat.  Stir in remaining peaches and pour into pan.  (I used a 9x13 but many sizes will work)

Meanwhile, mix flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 tablespoon sugar.  Cut butter into flour mixture.  Stir in milk.  Drop large spoonfuls onto the peach mixture.

Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes until the biscuits are lightly browned.  Serve warm or room temperature.  Its great with vanilla ice cream!



No comments:

Post a Comment