Saturday, July 7, 2012

Chicken Homes

I am planning my flock of chickens.  Only 4 chickens.  Since I have already chose the breeds I would like to get, its time to choose what kind of coop they will live in.  There are many many different kinds of coops available on the market.  I looked around and it looks like I could buy a coop for 4 chickens for close to $300.  The real expense is the shipping.  Since these coops are quite heavy, shipping costs a lot of money.

There are also many different ideas floating around for DIY coops.  I was first considering finding some sort of free structure and modifying it to be a chicken coop.  Although that sounds like a cheap option, as I was looking around, I realized that there are not a plethora of free structures that I could turn into a chicken coop.


I finally decided that I will have to build my own coop (with lots of help from Husband).  I want a chicken coop that won't take too much time or money to build.  The point of chickens is not to spend a lot of money on them but rather to have pets that produce good food for my family.  As I was looking at coops, the idea of a chicken tractor kept catching my eye.  A chicken tractor is a basically a chicken coop and run that can be moved around the yard.




http://ana-white.com/2012/05/plans/frame-chicken-coop


The benefits of moving your chickens around the yard is that they will be able to fertilize a different section of yard every day so they will not kill the grass and they will be able to find bugs and grass rather than living on a piece of bare earth.  I would love for our chickens to be able to free range but for safety, they will probably need to be locked up when we aren't home.





http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/better-homes-gardens/diy/articles/a/-/5829854/chicken-coop/
The coop design that I have found that seems to fit all of our restrictions is an a-frame coop.  This coop has the coop area with nesting boxes and roosts above and an enclosed run below.  It is light weight so that it can be moved around a yard.  Here are two different plans I have found for an a-frame coop!  The unpainted wood coop seems to be a little bit less complex and therefore cheaper.  The green coop is a bit more complex and also, designed in the metric system.  I'll keep you updated on what I end up building.  Any ideas for the color?


Linked at frugallysustainable.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment